Cancer is Bad, I know this is first hand.

No one wants to hear that awful word, cancer, the big C, and you don't want to hear it about a relative or a friend, not even mean people. It is an illness that no one wants and no one wants anyone else to have. But it is a reality. We need to remember we go through the valley of the shadow of death, we don't stay there. Attitude is vital when facing any catastrophic illness or any distressing event in life. How we go through this can be our gift to others. I know that sounds corny but it is true. No one likes being around people who are grumpy and unhappy, I would image even those who are grumpy and unhappy don't even like being around themselves. It isn't easy at first, but with the grace of God we can be positive and remember this too shall pass. Sometimes I've thought it is easier to be the patient that those around me that don't know what to say or do to help me through Cancer.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Still Undefeated!!

Well, I am long over due to post a blog. A lot has transpired since my last blog of over a year ago. I have grown closer to God through it all and am thankful for this opportunity to post another blog. I just wasn't in the mood to talk about the experiences yet, I am ready to do so now.

In January of 2012, my husband, Terry, suggested I go see my family doctor to see about my supposed memory loss. I thought he was really being paranoid and looking for things to be wrong. So, I humored him, and went to the doctor. Now, from my perspective, there was nothing wrong with me. Sure, I was just a tad forgetful, but at my age, who isn't. I had friends that talked about being forgetful, I was no different from them. I told the Doctor Terry was just being paranoid and he was just imagining things. I had been holding down a job in an office and had been doing it quite well, there was certainly nothing wrong with me.

One day Terry showed up at my work and told me that we were going to the emergency room. I looked at him like he was crazy. He had talked to my parents and to my co-workers (one of which is a good friend of mine) and he had talked to my doctor and explained what was going on with me. Well, I thought there was nothing wrong with me, little did I know, there was. I had been holding down a job that was temporary and was soon to be made part time but with benefits. You know, Insurance and all the state holidays off etc. I waited for a month and had just begun my new job . . . I was three days into it when Terry showed up at work. It seems Terry had talked to all these people and they felt like I was not myself. You know, just the little things. Memory loss, not finding or remembering the words that came so effortlessly before, not remembering whole conversations that took place. At first I just thought Terry was just trying to pull one over on my, I would find out later that wasn't so.

We spent hours and hours in the emergency room that day. It seemed like it was taking forever for them to get results of tests, etc. Finally, after 8 hours of waiting in the emergency room, the doctors were ready to talk. Praise God!! What I didn't expect was what was about to happen . . . I had another brain tumor. It too had grown out of the skull inward towards the brain. This one was located in the upper part of my brain where the two lobes come together. It was the size of a tangerine. The doctors wouldn't let me go home, they wouldn't let me even get dressed and they sent me straight to UVA in Charlottesville via ambulance. The EMT guys gave me a sedative and I slept and prayed and I prayed and slept on the almost 3 hour trip. Terry was driving up after gathering some of my clothes at home. I again spent many hours in the Charlottesville emergency room. It was just too hard to believe. I didn't fall apart, after all, I had been here before, I was tired of being here in this place but not at all alarmed . . . at least not yet.

1 comment:

  1. Dedra, I praise God for you! I am so thankful you feel like writing about all this again. I love reading it and I know it blesses others in similar situations. Do you mind if I link to my blog? Just want to get your message of hope and inspiration out there!

    Love you, sweet sister!

    ReplyDelete