Cancer is Bad, I know this is first hand.

No one wants to hear that awful word, cancer, the big C, and you don't want to hear it about a relative or a friend, not even mean people. It is an illness that no one wants and no one wants anyone else to have. But it is a reality. We need to remember we go through the valley of the shadow of death, we don't stay there. Attitude is vital when facing any catastrophic illness or any distressing event in life. How we go through this can be our gift to others. I know that sounds corny but it is true. No one likes being around people who are grumpy and unhappy, I would image even those who are grumpy and unhappy don't even like being around themselves. It isn't easy at first, but with the grace of God we can be positive and remember this too shall pass. Sometimes I've thought it is easier to be the patient that those around me that don't know what to say or do to help me through Cancer.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Second Set of Treatments . . .

Before we could begin the second set of treatments we needed to know if it was the same type of cancer as before. The doctors told me that they would just put a needle into the bone to get the biopsy. OK, so now I am picturing something like a hammer and chisel. I am so not looking forward to this. I am not the smartest but I’m not stupid either. Those of you that know me . . . no comments from the peanut gallery please. Arrive at UVA for the test, still picturing the hammer and chisel procedure and yes still not looking forward to it. Much to my relief, the doctor explains the procedure and then shows me the gun with a little needle in it that just pops in and out very quickly. Whew, thank God they aren’t as primitive as expected. It was all over very quickly, Praise God Again!
Tattoos are pretty popular right now, but when I was growing up it just wasn’t something you did unless you were in the military or something similar. The technician informed me once again that I would need to be tattooed for the treatments. The tattoos look like a little black mole or something. It’s ironic that I wouldn’t even date someone that had a tattoo when I was young, now I had six.
Thankfully the radiation treatments on my sternum area were done at a hospital close to home. My family doctor had recommended a local Radiation Doctor to administer the treatments the doctors at UVA had decided upon. Treatments began and ended fairly quickly. Sorry, no really funny tales to tell during treatments. The only complication is there were a couple of weeks that my throat was sore, nothing to write home about.
About a month or so after treatments the burns from radiation began to show up (externally). Yes, with radiation it is almost always a delayed reaction but everyone reacts differently. The burns were bad enough to where I couldn’t wear a bra and just wore loose fitting tops in layers. I went to my family doctor’s office to get some burn cream so that the burns would heal faster. So, I am sitting in the room waiting for the doctor to come in to talk to me, he arrives and asks to see my burns, so he could see how bad they were. Did I mention that when you have babies or cancer or any other major illness that you tend to lose your inhibitions? Well, it is so true. Ok, moving on, so the doc asks me to see my radiation burns . . . I simply lifted my shirts up, figured that was the quickest, easiest way. My doctors face turned a little red, I could tell he was surprised (although I don’t know why) and then he laughed a little nervously and looked at the nurse and told her, well, I love my job. We all laughed about it and I did get the burn cream prescription and was on the road to healing in a short time. It’s just another one of those wonderful things to be thankful for.
I returned to UVA for a checkup and tests to see how the treatments had worked. Test results proved that I was in remission once again and so thankful and blessed to be back on the road to recovery. I am still Praising God for His healing whether it is through divine healing or through the technology that God gives to the doctors and researchers. The best things to remember is don’t give up, keep your chin up, and keep your attitude up as best you can. If you have trouble with that then ask a friend or family to come over and find something to laugh about. Laughter is one of the best medicines there is!

1 comment: